Pages

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Lima

This was my second time in the capital city of Peru, so I attempted to show Ben around to my favorite parts via my memory.

Once thing you should know about me and directions: I don’t do street names very well. I am better off with landmarks and better yet, feelings. Yes, you read that right. Sometimes I just feel like something is 3 blocks to the right.

Well, my sense of direction didn't work out so well in Lima. Yes, I was able to find the “Park of Love” and the seaside mall in Miraflores, but I was not able to find my absolute favorite thing in Lima – an amazing empanada stand that I have dreamt of ever since tasting that heavenly little pocket of goodness nearly two years ago.

After two hours of putting up with my, “I just feel like it’s this way!” Ben and I finally decided to call it quits. (Bless his patient heart!)

We ended up settling on two dodgy, half-warm empanadas from a supermarket. Not a good choice, I would find out the next day while I was stuck in bed with food poisoning.


It's know as the "Park of Love" for a reason!



Seaside mall
One of the highlights of our time in Lima was going to dinner with Cesar – my friend’s boyfriend, who I met when I was last in Peru.

Cesar took us to an incredible buffet. Now this was nothing like the endless metal trays of frozen foods defrosted and kept warm under heat lamps featured at buffets all across America. No, this high-end restaurant served all sorts of fresh and traditional Peruvian dishes such as Ceviche, Llomo Saltado (cooked to order right in front of us), Rocoto Relleno (spicy stuffed pepper), and Chicha Morada (a traditional drink made from purple corn) to name a few.


A few Peruvian delicacies 
After being stuffed well past our limit, Cesar drove us around Lima, showing us Lima by night. Being shown around by a local is the best way to see a city. 

No comments:

Post a Comment